Monday 20 December 2010

Planning... the Shelf Layout idea takes shape.


So i've spent the last week or two working on my switching layout trackplan, using the free XtrkCad software to try out various different ideas.  It's a great piece of software that allows you to draw and actually operate your trackplan right there on your PC desktop.

I've been trying to get something urban, originally I was looking for a city-centre plan similar to 'Sweethome Chicago' but I have since started to be more influenced by the DCON Detroit Connecting Railroad and the industrial traffic still going on in the Detroit area.

This plan incorporates four business spurs and a runaround loop, it is designed for engines no bigger than GP38 size, and trains no longer than four 53ft boxcars.

I'm pretty pleased with this plan and I think it will be the one I end up using.  I will be trying out the plan some more in XtrkCad before building it in Peco track to try for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment