Thursday 29 December 2011

Norfolk Southern GP60 Project - Converting a pair of GP60M's

Here's an update on my next project.  A pair of Norfolk Southern GP60's  These will be converted from Athearn/Railpower GP60M's and detailed as Norfolk Southern #7121 & #7129.

Here's a picture of the prototypes:



Here are the base models:


 A basket case Athearn GP60M I purchased very cheaply on ebay, the engine has suffered some collision damage, the truck sideframes are gone and the cab is loose.  Because of the damage I was able to pick it up very cheaply.


The second locomotive will be based on a 'new old stock' Railpower Products GP60M shell and chassis kit I bought from MG Sharp models (one of the few UK suppliers for RPP).

The Athearn is a reissue of the old RPP shell, so both of these locomotives will have the same heritage.

I will be stripping the Athearn shell and ditching the cabs (if anyone needs a couple of GP60M cabs then I'm open to offers). :)

I've already purchased most of the parts I need for these builds, including the correct truck sideframes and various Details West and Detail Associates parts.

One of the pair will be built with a salvaged Athearn SD50 cab, the other will use a Cannon cab.
I will update on progress as these builds get underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment