Saturday 26 May 2012

Freemo Module Update - Plastering Time


With the club show only fifteen weeks away, I've been working on my module to get the scenery in place. 



The insulation foam was shaped a while back, and I've been adding a layer of Woodland Scenics Hydrocal plaster and Sculpt-a-Mold to shape the edges and gaps.



I've got about half of the board coated with plaster, and I also used some Woodland Scenics rock moulds to cast a few rockfaces for the cutting.  This was the first time I've tried using the hydrocal and woodland scenics moulds, previously I had used scrunched up tinfoil and polyfilla.



I laid in some plasticard to form the street surface and sidewalks, and for each of the DPM building kits I cut a custom 'foundation' shape and glued it in place (because the module is portable I need to be able to remove the buildings) these foundation pieces will also allow me to bed in the buildings to the ground surface and minimise gaps.


The sculpt-a-mold is a thick oatmeal style of plaster that gives an excellent gap filling coverage and is very lightweight.


All of this is a bit messy, so thankfully with the summer weather I've been able to crack on with the module in the back garden.  I will hopefully get a few more days work on it in the coming week or so.



Next I need to finish the other side of the street and then add another layer of hydrocal to fill out the remaining gaps and then add the fascia boards and blend the scenery into them.



I've also begun working on the iron bridge for the rural end of the board, and I've measured and cut the pieces for the side girders and wooden decking, making sure that there is enough clearance for those pesky autoracks!

No comments:

Post a Comment