Saturday 19 April 2014

Hallmark Brass GP50


Although I'm currently building a pair of modern geeps using Railpower GP60 shells, I couldn't resist picking up a second-hand bargain on ebay.  This is my second brass locomotive and it is a Hallmark GP50 factory painted for Santa Fe.

 
A pretty decent model, slightly let down by the lack of see-through fans and the distinctly oversized truck gearboxes that prevent the trucks from looking properly see-through like an Athearn or Atlas as the gearbox is visible as a square shape behind the truck sides.


This model was released in the early 90's and compared to most of the models of the time it would have been very impressive.  The various road-specific details include antenna frame, air conditioner and (non-operational) rooftop beacon.  There are no air-hoses or lift rings, and the walkways do not feature etched treadplate.


I don't model SF, but I'm sure this model won't be difficult to repaint and convert into a Norfolk Southern locomotive in the black scheme.

I'd really like to add some more brass locomotives to my roster, especially an SD40 or a Dash-9, so I will continue to keep an eye out for more ebay bargains.

No comments:

Post a Comment