Saturday 29 January 2011

Now I am the master...



My latest engine purchase turned up today, my first Atlas Master series locomotive, a second-hand GE Dash 8-40B in conrail livery.  The previous owner has renumbered it as a CSX patched engine.  This is an incredibly detailed model, with factory fitted grab-irons, all manner of pilot detail, etched radiator grilles, roof details, truck side details and pretty much everything you could want.  It's hard to think of any part of it that would need extra detail.  Truly an amazing engine and I picked it up on ebay for only £30.



It's not perfect, there are a few missing detail parts, a slightly damaged handrail and the number boards have come unstuck on the rear end, but for £30 it's a real steal.

I plan to renumber it as a Norfolk Southern patched engine, and weather it.   The missing details and broken parts will only take a few minutes with the glue, some decals and the addition of a couple of Details West sunshades to finish it off.  This engine even comes with DCC as standard, so I can leave it as-is on the control side of things until I get a sound decoder for it later.



I also recieved my latest freight cars, a pair of Walther Gold Line UTLX 23,000 Gallon Tank cars.  These are also really great looking models, with separate metal guard rails and a small packet of extra detail grabirons to add even more detail.



The detail on these tank cars is really nicely applied, and they even have different road numbers, a far cry from the old Roundhouse kit tank cars I was used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment