Sunday 1 July 2012

Vintage Model Railroad Craftsman



As part of the preparation for my SD39 project I have been looking for kitbashing articles and guides.  There have been numerous magazine articles on the subject over the years, but they are usually in older issues, most of them long out of print. 

I've been lucky to get scans of some of the more obscure articles, but one of the key pieces of missing information was a good scale drawing of an SD39.  I knew there was one in the November 1972 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman and I was lucky enough to find one on ebay last week.


It arrived today and it is a real blast from the past, the articles show scratchbuilt locomotives without cab glazing, award winning layouts with code 100 rail, adverts for manufacturers like 'Cox' who have long since ceased production.  It's a really fascinating window forty years back in time.




These are some astounding photographs of scratchbuilt buildings and rolling stock from the 1972 Seattle NMRA, showing the kinds of results that were possible long before detail parts or craftsman kits existed.


The SD39 plans are exactly what I needed, and they will easily answer all my concerns over fan spacing and door latches.   I've already ordered some of the parts I will need for this build, with an Atlas GP38 forming the basis for the long hood, and an Athearn SD40-2 as the sill.

No comments:

Post a Comment