Sunday 2 September 2012

Freemo Board Update - Dirt (Not Dirt)

Just as I thought I was finished with the messy work on my module, it turned out there was a problem with my scenery.


The club module spec didn't specify a particular type of dirt, so I decided to use regular garden dirt, finely sieved.  This seemed to work pretty well, but the dirt stayed a dark 'wet' colour after glueing which gave my board a very distinctively post-rain feel.

Now that some of the other boards have been completed by other members I realised that their dirt areas were far lighter in colour.  It turns out that most of the guys are using a special dirt powder marketed by 'Treemendus'  http://www.treemendusmodels.co.uk/ which doesn't dry dark like the regular garden earth.


I ordered up some of the Treemedus 'earth' powder and spent some time over the weekend re-doing the various open areas on my module.  The earth powder darkens when wet but dries light again, giving a much nicer effect, the module now looks like a dry dusty day instead of a damp one.



I will need to redo some of the ground foam to recover areas and blend the joins to the existing scenery, but the board is certainly looking far more 'to spec' than before!



Time is getting tight for the club show is in three weeks so I have also been working on the buildings, and I have adapted a Rix 'Smalltown USA' store to fill the awkward curved space on the corner of the board. 



I need to get the buildings detailed and painted this week so I can get the board back to the club space and the electrics tested ahead of the ballasting.  Lots to do!



No comments:

Post a Comment