Wednesday 11 May 2011

Genesis II - The Arrival.






My latest engine arrived in the post today.  It's an Athearn Genesis SD70M in Norfolk Southern livery.  This engine represents one of the ex-Conrail units aquired during the merger and features a standard 'spartan' cab instead of the more usual wide cab configuration.

This model is in superb condition and doesn't appear to have been run at all.  The only thing wrong with it is that the instruction leaflet and the extra cab parts sprues are missing (the windscreen wipers).

I can probably dig up some spare wipers in the parts box, but it's a shame that they are missing, especially as the engine is otherwise mint.

I'm very excited to have this locomotive as I've been looking for one for a while and they seem to be difficult to find.  Athearn only produced a single run of them back in 2001 and they haven't been re-issued since, and when I saw them advertised in an old issue of Model Railroader I loved the look of the old-style cab on the modern hood, and the little details like the ice cover on the hood and the spare knuckle basket.

This new engine brings the second Genesis locomotive onto the roster, and also adds another Norfolk Southern unit in the black paint scheme - most of my other engines are awaiting repaints or will depict patched units.


No comments:

Post a Comment