Friday 27 May 2011

Removing the 'M' from GP60M


My latest project locomotives have arrived, I am planning to build two standard cab GP60's in Norfolk Southern livery, and I am using this basket-case BNSF GP60M as the basis for one of them.  I bought this engine very cheaply on ebay, and it is a little worse for wear, the cab mounting lug is broken and the sideframes and some of the handrails are completely missing.



The second GP60 will be built from this New-Old-Stock Railpower Products kit, again this is a GP60M, but I plan to use Cannon & Co parts to create a spartan cab for it.  This kit was bought from MG Sharp Models, as they seem to have a few RPP kits still in their inventory.



Here is a quick test showing how the Athearn spartan cab will fit onto the GP60M as a replacement for the wide cab.

I was spurred on to this project by the blue-box 'GP60' Athearn conversion I bought at the NMRA spring meet, that locomotive may also recieve a comprehensive makeover to join these two as a more accurate GP60 with correct frame length and other details, or it might return to being a regular GP50 and being stripped of it's extra details and parts.

Work is still ongoing with the NS 5723 GP38-2 ex Conrail unit, the paint has been added and I will update on that model soon.  Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment