Tuesday 2 August 2011

Board with tracklaying?



A quick update on my Fremo module.  With the track finally in place, the board is at least looking a little more like part of a road instead of a table!

Today I purchased a couple of cheap foam insulation boards from B&Q to use as the base for the scenery on my Fremo module.  I'm following the methods outlined in the September 2010 issue of model railroader, and I will carve the foam into shape before adding a layer of Woodland Scenics plaster on top.



I spent twenty mins or so carving the first section, where the landscape will slope down from the road on the 'left' side of ther module (it's designed to be viewed from either side, but I consider the current position to be the 'correct' way to view the module).



The foam carves easily, but I will need to take a larger saw over to the clubhouse next time, the hacksaw blade I was using is not really suitable for large cuts.

I want to get the scenery blocked out and the road surfaces laid before I begin work on the buildings, currently there is a box full of scenic bits under my board which includes all the houses and stores for the main street which will take up the 'right' side of the board, and the Walthers farmhouse that will be the main scenic detail on the hill above the tracks.

The finished board will be a very simple 4ft section of single-track main line, with a cutting and old wooden overbridge at one end and a suggestion of a small town at the other, with a grade crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment