Sunday 21 August 2011

Canadian National - More basket case Genesis bargains.


My latest ebay bargain, a pair of Athearn Genesis SD70i locomotives in Canadian National livery.  These are both definitely borderline basket cases, but at only £20 each I think they were worth picking up.

One of them is running rough and the other is missing it's motor, but the shells and trucks are in good condition, and I already have several sets of SD70 handrails 'in stock' so getting them back to complete detail order should be fairly simple.  These are early Genesis engines from around 1999 so they have bare metal handrails and need holes drilled for the windscreen wipers and other details.

I have already ordered a cheap replacement motor for the missing one, and I figure a single evening with the screwdriver and some glue should see both engines back on the rails and ready to haul.

These are the first CN engines to join my roster, and they should run nicely alongside my Norfolk Southern units.  I will update on them once the repairs are underway, but in the meantime I need to find a suitable orange paint colour to finish the handrails and grabirons without ordering some floquil from the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment