Thursday 5 April 2012

Room for a layout?

Without a garage or large spare room, I've been trying to develop a layout plan that will fit into the small third bedroom of our house, a room that is designated as 'the office' and already filled with filing cabinets, shelving and a cabin bed.

With a distinct lack of space, I had been working to try and develop an end-to-end switching layout like this link.

However, I would much prefer a continuous run, so the design work has been on hold while I concentrated on building my freemo module for the club layout.

Recently my wife suggested the idea of building a layout in the outbuilding, a small brick shed that extends to the rear of the house.  While not massive, it does have a useable floor area of 4x9 and is prewired with fluorescent lighting and electrical sockets.   Of course it is also full of junk, acting as a dumping ground for all the stuff that should really be taken to the tip, so the first task would be to empty the space and paint it.



At first I didn't think the space would work, but after spending some time with Xtrak cad and working out the sizes, I've started to formulate a trackplan that would allow for continuous running over a small branchline and if I build the boards in a modular fashion then I might also have come up with a trackplan that will allow for reconfiguration as an exhibition layout.

Next step is to work up the trackplan.  More on that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment