Monday 5 March 2012

Norfolk Southern GP60 Project - NS #7121 Cab

Work continues on my GP60 project locomotives (see HERE for details)

This is the locomotive that utilises a new-old-stock Railpower shell, I am building this one with all Cannon & Co. parts while #7129 has a combination of Cannon and salvaged Athearn parts. 


This is my first time using Cannon cab components, and I'm very impressed with the quality and variety of options these kits allow.

The sub base is built based on the precise details of the prototype locomotive, an easy job given the sheer number of options Cannon provide in their excellent kit.




The cab itself is a similarly detailed kit, and goes together very easily, although unfortunately I realised after I'd finished that I had read some advice which suggested leaving the roof off until after assembly, to make it easier to add the glazing.



The nose features the correct GP60 brakewheel side section and the toilet hatch, exactly as per the real locomotive.



Here is a photograph showing everything test fitted, the anticlimber and sub-base have been glued in place.


I had bought a set of Cannon GP tread-plates for the model, but the step shape is different from the older GP38-2 so I am going to have to rethink my approach to the tread for these locomotives.

Here's a shot of both models showing the progress so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment