Sunday 1 January 2012

Building Project #1 - The roof goes on.

Following on from my earlier work on this project (see HERE for details) the DPM building kit project is taking shape.  I added the roof and chimney today, and created some extra edging pieces to add more percieved detail on the roof.


 The roof is positioned using sections of square profile plastruct to support the edges.  To begin with I had the roof set at a high angle but it didn't look right so I lowered it to match the angle of the lowest step on the side walls.


The roof piece is detailed with thin strips to suggest roof bracing, I will be painting the roof to simulate metal paneling with black paint to suggest tar sealent on the edges.


Two of the chimneys were removed to help give the building a more distinctive profile, I will be using it with several other DPM and Rix kits, so having different roofs will be important.


I used a razor saw to cut a groove around the chimney capstone, and then drilled out a hole for the chimney pots.  These were cut from plastruct tube.

I added strips of styrene to the top of each side wall, then sliced capstone gaps with a razor saw, this helps to give a more distinct top edge to the walls and will make it easier to paint the capstones.


A small piece of styrene fills out the gap above the store entrance, I am not adding any interior detail to the upper floors, the building will have printed window blinds and details on most of the windows so an interior will not be needed.


This shot shows the finished roof, there is still some clean-up and filler required along the back of the front wall where the kit has an indented moulding pip.  This shot also shows the chimney pots I added onto the two remaining chimneys.


The building is almost ready for painting, the final details will be added ahead of the primer step.

No comments:

Post a Comment