Saturday 7 January 2012

You can't handle the true...


This morning my Northwest Shortines True Sander arrived this morning, it's a very useful tool for sanding flat edges on plastic and wood.

I bought it from the Antenocis Workshop, who seem to be the only UK supplier for NSWL products. If you've not heard of them then their website is definitely worth a browse at http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/ 

Although primarily a wargaming website, they have pretty much every useful model building or scratchbuilding supply you can think of and lots of items suitable for model railroading.

I bought the True Sander following a recommendation by Jeff Wilson in his book 'Basic Structure Modeling for Model Railroaders' published by Kalmbach, which is a very good source for simple tips to help with model kit building.

Here's a quick shot of the True Sander as it comes, including a set of angle templates to help with sanding edges to match specific angles, two fixed angles and an adjustable one.  The sanding block comes complete with a piece of 180 grit sandpaper, so the tool is very much ready-to-run straight from the box.


I'm going to be testing the sander in more depth when I use it to help with the next building kit for my club Freemo module, but a quick test this morning suggests that it will quickly become an invaluable tool for sorting out the uneven edges on DPM and Rix building kits.


I'm looking forward to trying the features of this tool in more depth as I begin the next round of structures for the freemo module.

No comments:

Post a Comment