Wednesday 11 January 2012

Norfolk Southern GP60 Project - NS #7129 Cab

Work continues on my GP60 project locomotives (see HERE for details)

I had been intending to use Cannon & Co cab part for one of these two GP60's and a salvaged Athearn SD50 cab for the other.  I realised it made more sense to use the Cannon parts on the Railpower shell and keep all of the salvaged parts together on the same model.  So NS #7129 will be a model made using recovered components.


The SD50 cab came from my basket-case ebay purchase back in March last year (see HERE for details) and was painted for Conrail and partially repainted/stripped.  Because the cab/sub-base are smaller parts I used a couple of old snap-top pill containers as stripping baths.


The parts fitted neatly into the containers and the lids helped to keep everything airtight so the 99% alcohol could do its job 


The Athearn RTR conrail paint turned out to be a bit more resiliant so I left the parts soaking in the shed for a week to soften all of the paint.


Here's a shot of the parts after scrubbing.  The brakewheel came loose during the cleaning and will need to be refitted or replaced.


Intrestingly the 99% alchohol didn't strip the silver paint from the window frames, I'm not sure why, but it might be the type of ink that those parts are printed with.  In this case that actually a good thing as it saves me from needing to try and remove the cab window sides (I'm not even certain that it is possible to remove them once they have been glued in place).

The next stage will be to assemble the locomotive and begin adding the main details, including a multitude of Cannon & Co parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment