Monday 11 June 2012

Freemo Board Update - Groundcover Begins

The summer weather seems to have departed for the time being, but I did manage to get a dry day over the weekend and began adding the ground cover to the board.



This first stage is the basecoat, for which I used dry dirt from the garden, sieved to remove the larger pieces.  I'm still unsure about how fine the dirt is, even once sieved it goes on a little large, although it will be ok once under the ground foam.


I worked in small sections, spraying the board with Woodland Scenics 'scenic cement' and then sprinkling on the dirt with my fingers, it took a couple of applications to get each area covered.


This view shows the finished effect, it's a little like a lava-field at the moment, but almost all of this will be covered with ground foam, the dirt is only there to provide a base layer.


I reckon I will need to invest in a finer sieve to get some really thin dirt for the open areas and the farm track.  I think an old tea strainer will probably be closer to the size I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment