Monday 25 June 2012

Freemo Module Update - Laying the turf

Good weather today so I was able to crack on with the scenery for my module, adding the first layers of grass onto the landscape.


The standard for our club modules is Woodland Scenics 'medium green' groundfoam, so I needed to keep my grass close to that colour, I used a mixture of different colours, but mostly the regular 'fine grass' and 'medium turf' types.


I had already laid a base layer of dirt across all the landscaped areas on the board, this was simply sieved garden dirt held in place with Woodland Scenics scenic cement.


I am using a 'wet on wet' method to layer the scenery, painting the base, then spraying scenic cement and sprinkling the dirt, then spraying again and adding the groundfoam and so on.

Spraying cement on Initial dirt layer.

Sprinkling fine grass layer as grass base.

Finished base grass layer.

More glue then adding layer of thicker 'turf' foam.

The rock castings were tinted with a wach of black acrylic, but on reviewing them I decided they were still too pale, so I added another thicker wash using grey acrylic to help darken the overall colour of the rocks.

Work in progress - Note the road areas masked off.

 The results are looking very good, and I'm very pleased with how the module is progressing.  There are only around ten weeks until the show, but I am confident I can get the scenery finished before then.

The next stage will be to finish building the scratchbuilt metal overbridge for the farm track and bedding it into the scenery.  The module will also need a fair number of trees, so I will investigating what is the best option for making/buying those.

Here are a few more pictures to show the results of the work so far.











No comments:

Post a Comment