Friday 13 February 2015

Gas Station Build - Part 3

I spent a few more hours on my gas station build this week and made some good progress.  The kit was missing it's decals so I decided to create my own.  This is the first time I've tried using blank decal paper and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.




I did a google search for old gas stations and found this great photograph of an old Gilmore gas station in California which was seemed like a similar prototype to the Woodland Scenics kit albeit a slightly grander version.


I model East Coast roads so a Californian company name wouldn't be suitable so I decided to freelance a design based on the colours and lettering of the Gilmore signage.




I used Photoshop to build up a page of decals, using measurements from the kit parts to make sure they were the correct size and printed a 1cm ruler on the test page to make sure it was printing at the right size.  


 I've made a selection of signs including a large banner sign I intend to mount on the roof of the building.  I will also need to make some small signs for the pump island and oil rack.

The decal paper is transparent so I will need to paint the signs white before I apply the decals, then paint around them to complete the model.



I finished the interior detailing and scribed the styrene floor so it resembled wooden boards.  This detail will most likely be obscured by the window detailing but I wanted to add it anyway just in case.



The rear of the building has a lean-to extension, again made from styrene scribed to resemble wooden siding.



I score the styrene with a scalpel and then use a needle file to scribe the score and thicken the line so it resembles a gap between boards.  I added an access door using the same method.



I also added the sub roof for the lean to, this will be clad with tinfoil to represent tar paper and painted black.  I cut in some grooves to suggest planks on the outer edge of the roof.





The next step will be the main roof, which I plan to create from styrene with overlapping roof tiles made from evergreen strip, and the roof mounted sign board.

No comments:

Post a Comment