Saturday 21 February 2015

Gas Station Build - Part 4

Today I spent a bit more time working on the Gas Station for the NMRA forum challenge.  I couldn't find any suitable roofing material in my box of bits so I decided to cut my own roof tiles from styrene.



First I created a replacement roof using the dimensions of the original kit parts and braced the inside of the roof to make sure it is strong enough to withstand the handling I expect it will receive during exhibitions.




The roof tiles were measured on a sheet of 0.3mm styrene and then notched with a razor saw, I notched along an entire row then cut it from the sheet in one piece.



Once I had a stockpile of tile strips I glued them in place one at a time, using a steel rule to help make sure they were more or less straight.  Small imperfections are in keeping with such a rustic prototype so I didn't worry too much about precision here.


I added a tar paper roof to the lean to shed using tin foil, I will paint it dark grey to make it look like weathered felt.



I added some bracing under the eaves to give extra detail, and also a small rain porch roof over the front door.





With the roof tiling done I started on the signage.  I had already printed my decals but I wasn't sure what to expect as this is my first time trying to create my own.  





I had a few problems getting the decals off the backing paper and the first roof sign ended up splitting into six parts and the smaller posters came off on the blotting paper!  More practice needed I think.



The weather was favorable so I took advantage of the opportunity to get the model primed and ready for painting.  I used a cardboard box as a makeshift spray booth and a rattle can of acrylic primer.





I'm pleased with the progress so far, hopefully tomorrow I will get started on painting the final base coat.





No comments:

Post a Comment