Thursday 26 February 2015

Gas Station Build - Part 7

The challenge deadline is two days away so I am still working full tilt on the gas station, I retouched the paint around the windows and fixed some areas where the grime wash had been a little too heavy.



I created a few more decals and printed them on my laser jet, then placed them directly onto thin styrene to make the signs and glued them in place.  Each sign received a brown painted edge to make them look like rusting tinplate.


The glazing was added using canopy glue and I printed a set of window blinds on paper to add some extra detail, designing the page so that it would print double sided.
 




I also created a few small pamphlets and a poster to add some detail to the counter area.



The missing gas pump details were tricky to fix, I tried creating a replacement cap piece out of styrene but it wasn't possible to match the existing kit part.  I also realised that there were more pieces missing than I had realised, a google search for images of the kit showed that the gas pumps should have three parts, I only had two, there should be a cylindrical 'sight glass' section to them.  

 
I pulled the pumps apart again and fashioned a pair of sight glass sections from some sprue I had in my bits box.  

I was seriously considering buying a second kit to obtain the missing cap piece when it occured to me that one way to get round the problem was to cover it up.  I fashioned a small 'tarp' from tin foil and made the pump look as if it was broken and out of use.  Job done.



The final work completed this evening was the rooftop sign, this is a tricky shape to cut due to my decision to try and emulate the Gilmore Gas logo with it's circle motif.  I attached the sign decal to a piece of styrene and trimmed round it to create a closer match.


The sign will be painted before it is attached to the main roof of the gas station, and should look very close to the one from the original reference image I posted earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment